8 Types of Health Professionals That Can Treat Your Foot Problems

Posted by Dr. Jeffrey L. Adler

Dec 19, 2015 2:30:00 PM

medical_professionalsIf you have a foot problem, you want to be sure you’re going to get the best care possible to get it treated, and that the health care provider knows what they’re doing and has the credentials to do it. There are a number of things to look for prior to selecting a foot health professional, but first you should know the different types and what each specializes in. Learn more in the article excerpt below.

Posted by: Institute for Preventive Foot Health

How to Choose a Foot Health Professional

Podiatrist (Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, or DPM) – Diagnoses, treats and helps prevent foot diseases and conditions. May also provide toenail care and maintenance and works with people with diabetes and other medical conditions who have foot issues.  May perform surgery and often prescribes special footwear.

Orthopaedic Surgeon (Orthopedist, Orthopaedic Physician) – A medical doctor who specializes in diagnosing and correcting issues with the musculoskeletal system. Corrective measures may involve surgery.  Many specialize in the foot and ankle.

General Practitioner, Family Physician or Primary Care Physician – A medical doctor who diagnoses and treats a variety of medical problems in patients of all ages.  May not have specialized knowledge of the feet, but can make referrals to an appropriate foot specialist.

Foot Care Nurse – Specializes in the care of the feet, and often provides general foot care, nail care and basic diabetic foot care.

Certified Pedorthist (C.Ped) - Trained in the manufacturing, fitting and modification of foot appliances and footwear. Does not diagnose, but often takes prescriptions or recommendations from medical practitioners to develop footwear solutions for specific problems.

Certified Orthotist (CO) – Specializes in providing mechanical devices to support or supplement weakened or abnormal joints or limbs. 

Certified Prosthetist (CP) – Specializes in the replacement of missing limbs and other body structures with manufactured substitutes

Certified Prosthetist/Orthotist (CPO) – Combines the two disciplines of the orthotist and prosthetist.

[Continue to original article: How to Choose a Foot Health Professional]

The podiatrists at Adler Footcare are well-versed and experienced in treating many different foot and ankle problems, such as bunions, flat feet, hammertoes, heel pain, ingrown toenails, misaligned feet, plantar fasciitis, toenail fungus, and more.

Dr. Adler is a Professor of Minimally Invasive Foot Surgery for the Academy of Ambulatory Foot and Ankle Surgeons, one of only several in the country to perform this type of surgery that’s done by making a very small incision the size of pinprick.

Adler Footcare is also home to the Joint Commission Accredited podiatric OR of Midtown Manhattan and uses the latest advancements in podiatry for the treatment of your foot problems.

If you have a foot disease or condition, or suffer from chronic foot pain, consider scheduling a consultation with a podiatrist in NYC at Adler Footcare. We believe feet shouldn’t hurt and neither should their treatment.

Guide to Choosing a Foot Surgery Center

Topics: foot problems, Foot Care, Choosing a Podiatrist