Did you know that April is Foot Health Awareness Month? It’s also Alcohol Awareness Month, Autism Awareness Month, and Humor Month. (What kind of vehicle does a New York podiatrist drive? A toe truck!) All humor aside, it is important to be aware of your feet, especially if you’re experiencing foot pain. Your feet have the important task of supporting your entire body.
Consider these foot facts:
- Your foot contains 26 bones, 33 joints, more than 100 tendons, muscles, and ligaments, and 250,000 sweat glands.
- In the United States the best-selling shoe size is 8.5 for women and 10.5 for men. Both are up a full size from 30 years ago.
- Toenails grow about 1mm per month. It can take at least 5 to 6 months to grow an entirely new toenail. The record holder for longest toenails has 6-inch long toenails.
- The average person takes 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day, which adds up to about 115,000 miles over a lifetime – enough to go around the circumference of the earth four times!
- The pressure put on the feet when running can be as much as four times the runner’s body weight.
- Your feet mirror your overall health and can show the first signs of more serious medical problems.
If your feet hurt it’s hard to focus on anything else because they are such an important part of who we are. So important in fact, they have a month dedicated to them! Not only is it important to learn about the interesting qualities about your feet, it’s also essential that you are aware of what your feet are telling you.
If you have foot pain it could be a sign of more serious foot problems
The most common foot problems a New York podiatrist sees in patients, many of which can cause foot pain, are:
- Heal pain
- Pain on the ball of the foot
- Toenail fungus
- Ankle injuries
- Plantar fasciitis
The good news is there are treatment options available.
Treatment options for common foot problems
Common treatment options at Adler Footcare are only recommended by a New York podiatrist after a thorough evaluation of your foot problems. Many people aren’t aware of the easy treatments available to help them cope with or completely eliminate their foot pain. Some of our best treatments include:
- Minimally invasive foot surgery – a procedure done by making a small incision or no incision at all, and it doesn’t require stitches.
- HyProCure - a product designed to prevent the inward rotation of the foot when the ankle bone and heel bone slip out of alignment. It allows for immediate weight bearing on the ankle and heel bone.
- Stem Cell Replacement Surgery – live stem cells are directly delivered into the specific location on the foot experiencing pain because they have the ability to replicate themselves and change into cell types needed to repair the damaged tissue.
- Toenail fungus laser treatment – this works by shining a laser light beam onto the nail. It breaks through the surface of the nail and kills the pathogens causing the fungus.
- Custom orthotics – these are shoe inserts that are created to fit your unique foot structure and help you bear weight properly.
Now that you are aware of why your feet are important, common foot problems that could be causing your pain, and the treatment options available, your next step is to contact a New York podiatrist at Adler Footcare by signing up for a free consultation below. We believe feet shouldn’t hurt and neither should their treatment. And since Foot Health Awareness month coincides with Humor Month we’ll leave you with this: Why didn’t the Mother like her kid’s foot jokes? They were too corny!