Which Type of Expert Should You Visit for Your Ankle and Foot Pain?

Posted by Dr. Jeffrey L. Adler

Apr 18, 2016 1:53:20 PM

different_types_of_doctorsWhen you or a loved one have an injury related to your feet or ankles, what type of doctor do you visit? You might just think to call up your general practitioner, or if your ankle and foot pain is bad enough, pay a visit to the ER. However, it’s becoming more common to seek specialized care for your foot injuries. Whether you’re an avid exerciser, have kids in sports, or have an old injury acting up again, learn the difference between foot and ankle specialists so you’re prepared when you need an expert opinion.

Posted by: Silverman Ankle & Foot

Orthopedic Surgeon vs. Podiatrists vs. Pedorthists: What’s the Difference?

Orthopedic Surgeon

Orthopedic surgeons deal with the musculoskeletal system (in other words, the muscles and bones in the body). This incorporates parts of the body other than just the foot and leg, such as the spine, hands, back, and neck.  They treat bone fractures, muscle/tendon/ligament tears, and joint issues. Orthopedists can practice generally on the musculoskeletal system, or focus on a specific area of the body, such as the foot and ankle.

An orthopedic surgeon must complete a four year undergraduate degree, a four year medical school degree, and five years of residency training.


Podiatrists treat maladies of the foot and lower leg, including bunions, sprains, fractures, and diseases such as diabetes. They treat patients using physical therapy and surgery.

To become a podiatrist, you have to go to a four year podiatry school (usually after receiving an undergraduate degree) and earn a D.P.M. (Doctor of Podiatric Medicine). After graduating, podiatrists have to undergo a residency program of 2-4 years, and earn a state license to practice.


A Pedorthist specializes in the fit and modification of shoes and other foot appliances that can help prevent or alleviate pain in the foot.

Pedorthists are not medical doctors. They must complete 120 hours of training and pass a certification exam. Podiatrists and orthopedic surgeons will often refer their patients out to a pedorthist for specialized shoe fitting.

[Continue to original article]

If you’re looking for the best podiatrist in NYC to help with your ankle and foot pain, then you’ll want to contact Adler Footcare of Greater New York. Our podiatrists are board certified and specialized in areas related to your foot and ankle.

We also offer the latest advancements in podiatry and are classified as a HyProCure® center of excellence by the Graham International Implant Institute, as well as accredited by the Joint Commission, which means you’ll receive the highest standard of care.

If you’re visiting or living in the New York area, consider scheduling a free assessment with the best podiatrist in NYC at Adler Footcare where you’ll experience convenience, kindness, and the best possible care for the problems causing your foot pain.

Read All About the latest Solutions for Foot Pain eBook

Topics: foot problems, Choosing a Podiatrist, Injuries